I started reading the Artemis Fowl books last fall. I was looking for another fun quick young adult series and I have been surprised how much I have liked these books. I bought The Last Guardian last Tuesday, when it came out and read it in a day.
This was a very good conclusion of the series. Of course it has the villan Opal Koboi and all of the characters from the previous books that you have come to love.
I always hate to spoil the story in a review, so I will not get into the plot line. The book opens with Artemis finishing up treatment for the Atlantis Complex that he had at the end of the last book. Opal Koboi has figured out another way to escape and she is headed to Artemis’ home.
From there the action does not stop. Artemis is very different from the 11 year old master criminal he was in the first book. He is older, more responsible and much more self-less in outlook. He now has a whole group of people that he feels responsible for, not only his family and the Butlers, but also Holly, Diggums and a number of other fairies. His age and the change are really the star of this final book.
Overall, this is one of the best endings to a young adult series I have read.
RELATED BOOK REVIEWS
- Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl #1) by Eoin Colfer
- The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl #2) by Eoin Colfer
- The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl #3) by Eoin Colfter
- The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4) by Eoin Colfer
- The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl #5) by Eoin Colfer
- The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl #6) by Eoin Colfer
- The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl #7) by Eoin Colfer
- The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8) by Eoin Colfer