This is a book that is hard to discuss without at least some spoilers. The Percy Jackson Series was a complete series based around the character Percy Jackson, son of the Greek God Poseidon, as he discovers that he is a demigod and works to save the gods from being other thrown by the Titans.
This series is after the first series, but has some of the same characters. So I would read Percy Jackson first, then this. In the first book (spoilers start here) we are introduced to Jason Grace, son of Jupiter and his two friends Leo and Piper. What is revealed at the end of the first book is that the Greek Gods also have Roman sides to them and there is a whole world of Roman demigods that have been kept apart from the Greek demigods.
Jason was from the Roman side and was sent to Camp Half-Blood (the Greek side) by Hera in order to join the Greek and Roman demigods together to overthrow Gaia and the Giants.
In this second book we find that Percy Jackson was also sent by Hera to the Roman Camp Jupiter. Percy has lost his memory (as had Jason) and has to find his way in the Roman camp and then participate in a quest to save the Roman camp from destruction.
These first two books are nicely parallel without being repetitive. But my assumption is that from book 3 on the series will move together. If you liked the previous books this is more of the same. Riordan continues to write good prose that really captures well the coming of age issues, identity, separation from parents, fitting in, early romance, etc.
This really is a good series. Book 3, The Mark of Athena does not come out until Oct 2, 2012.
Related Bookwi.se Book Reviews
- The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus #1) by Rick Riordan
- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson Book 1)
- The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson Book 2)
- Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson Book 3)
- The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson Book 4) by Rick Riordan
- The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson Book 5) by Rick Riordan
- Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus #3) by Rick Riordan (bookwi.se)